Saturday 5 September 2015

VeganMoFo 2015 #5: Sensational sandwiches



5: Best sandwich ever.

How fun was yesterday's topic? I have so many crazy new combinations to try out! Top of my list is cheese in hot chocolate. Sounds wrong but I think it will be so right.

Today is a hard one, because when I really think about I love sandwiches and I would be hard pressed to pick a favourite. So I thought I would share some of my favourites with you, and I also made a new sandwich as well in honour of MoFo. Certainly I love simple sandwiches. I am a dork and confess that I love a good salad sandwich, and of course a grilled cheese is always welcome. I love Vegemite and cheese sandwiches, and peanut butter and jam sandwiches (strawberry is my favourite), and peanut butter, cream cheese, baby spinach, and raisin sandwiches (just try it). But I also love fancy sandwiches as well. In fact, thinking about it I think I enjoy sandwiches much more as a vegan than as an omni! Anyway, here are some of my favourite types of sandwiches.

Reubens. Reubens aren't something I grew up eating, but I have come to appreciate them through vegan cooking. Of course the champion of all reubens is the Radical Reuben from Chicago Diner. This sandwich was devoured on my most recent trip to the US, and is a sandwich I have been lusting after for a long time.

Radical Reuben at Chicago Diner


The Club Sandwich. I must have had club sandwiches in my pregan days, however the first club I remember having as a vegan was from Hungry Tiger Too during my 2011 trip to Portland.

Hungry Tiger Too - South East Club with Fries


BLT. Hopefully also with avocado! My preference is for tempeh bacon, however I except all delicious vegan bacon options. One of the more interesting BLTs I have had was a yummy eggplant bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich from Petty Cash, a vegan friendly cafe in Sydney.

Eggplant Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich at Petty Cash


Finger Sandwiches. Also known as tea sandwiches. Basically any sort of fancy little sandwiches. I love them! Here is a platter of sandwiches from my 30th birthday that included cucumber, cream cheese and dill (the best!) and tomato and basil. I also really like Nuttelex and radish ones as well. Or fancy little pate ones.

Finger Sandwiches: Cucumber and Cream Cheese; Tomato Basil and Cream Cheese; BLT


There are many, many, many more sandwiches that I have eaten and loved. However everyone has a million posts to read through today, so I'll keep my list short. And talk about the very silly sandwich I made in honour of MoFo. Of course the number one resource for making vegan sandwiches has to be Vegan Sandwiches Save The Day, a book I have sorely neglected. Until now. I present to you...

The MacShroom! Mayo, BBQ sauce coated mushrooms and mac and cheese. Delicious? Yes. Messy? You bet! I had to tinker with the BBQ sauce recipe a little given that I had to use sweetened apple sauce instead of unsweetened apple butter and I left out the coffee because I don't do coffee and the fact that the new liquid smoke I bought is super strong, so I added some extra maple syrup and some tomato puree to balance it back out again. I highly recommend this sandwich.
Rating: :D

The Mac-Shroom


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post: Month of Gizmo

Gizmo and mousey


A Gizmo and her mousey.

9 comments:

  1. Great selection of sandwiches! I'm with you - didn't grow up on the Reuben but I am into it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful picture of Gizmo.

    All those sandwiches make me want be hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice selection and you've made me want to try Aubergine bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many sandwiches; yum! Cute Gizmo holding her mouse! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...peanut butter, cream cheese, baby spinach, and raisin sandwiches...I'm definitely intrigued!

    You've put together a mouth-watering list; I agree, picking one favorite sandwich is just not possible.

    I love your MoFo creation! Mac and cheese and BBQ, a match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I recognise those finger sandwiches! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew you'd had lots of photos of yummy sandwiches for this one! Tiny fancy sandwiches are such fun! I love them. I haven't had any in ages, and I remember only ever liking the plain cheese ones. Boring? A little bit. I should try to make some more adventurous now that my tastes have evolved a little.

    The MacShroom looks glorious! The deliciousness of one's sandwich is directly relative to its messiness.

    That's a tiny little mousey. It looks like Gizmo wasn't in a sharing mood there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *You'd have. Not had. Well done, me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy sandwiches Batman! You do have some delicious eats while travelling =) I missed the Tiger place when I went to Portland, I suppose I'll just have to go back ;p
    The MacShroom Sandwich sounds AMAZING!!! I mean, that's combining two of my very favourite things together, in a sandwich no less!
    I think I also enjoy sandwiches much more as a vegan haha ;p

    ReplyDelete